Norwegian Scabies in a 70-Year-Old Renal Transplant Recipient: A Case Report
Crusted scabies (CS) is an extremely contagious variant of classical scabies with substantial morbidity and mortality. It is the most prevalent in immunocompromised patients, those with some underlying diseases, and individuals with physical and mental disabilities. Herein, we report a 70-year-old woman who presented with generalized erythema with itchy hyperkeratotic plaques and crusted lesions on her face, hands, between fingers, neck, scalp, abdomen, and legs up to the knees. She was diagnosed with CS and subsequently isolated and treated with ivermectin (200 μg/kg) and 5% permethrin cream. She died a short time after being admitted, and it was due to severe septic shock and cardiac arrest. Immediate isolation and treatment of CS patients is essential to prevent morbidity and mortality. Prompt diagnosis and precise medical management in both patients and healthcare settings is required.
2. Binić I, Janković A, Jovanović D, Ljubenović M. Crusted (Norwegian) scabies following systemic and topical corticosteroid therapy. J Korean Med Sci. 2010;25(1):188–91.
3. Hindle IJ, Forbes LK, Carver S. The effect of spatial dynamics on the behaviour of an environmentally transmitted disease. J Biol Dyn. 2022;16(1):144–59.
4. Niode NJ, Adji A, Gazpers S, Kandou RT, Pandaleke H, Trisnowati DM, et al. Crusted Scabies, a Neglected Tropical Disease: Case Series and Literature Review. Infect Dis Rep. 2022;14(3):479–91.
5. Cuellar-Barboza A, la Garza JA, Garc’ia-Lozano JA, Martinez-Moreno A, Jaramillo-Moreno G, Ocampo-Candiani J. A case of hyperkeratotic crusted scabies. Public Library of Science San Francisco, CA USA; 2020.
6. Karthikeyan K. Crusted scabies. Indian J Dermatology, Venereol & Leprol. 2009;75(4).
7. Engelman D, Steer AC. Control strategies for scabies. Trop Med Infect Dis. 2018;3(3):98.
8. Cartron AM, Boettler M, Chung C, Trinidad JC. Crusted scabies in an elderly woman. Dermatol Online J. 2020;26(10).
9. Namazi MR, Barikbin B. Atypical crusted scabies in an Iranian man. Dermatol Online J. 2002;8(2):17.
10. Mortazavi H, Abedini R, Sadri F, Soori T, Vasheghani-Farahani A. Crusted scabies in a patient with brain astrocytoma: Report of a case. Int J Infect Dis. 2010;14(6):e526--e527.
11. Yagoob G, others. A case-report of Sarcoptes scabiei var. hominis in a 55-year-old male sheepherder in Tabriz, Iran. Indian J Fundam Appl Life Sci. 2014;4(3):228–30.
12. Dastgheib L, Boroujeni NH, Aslani FS. Crusted scabies masquerading as psoriasis plaques in a patient suffering from burn scars. Dermatol Online J. 2018;24(6).
13. Rahdar M, Maraghi S. Norwegian scabies in two immune-compromised patients: a case report. Iran J Public Health. 2019;48(6):1169.
14. RIABI HRA. The Outbreak of Classic and Norwegian Type Scabies, in Mentally Handicapped Persons in a Rehabilitation Centre-Iran. J Clin & Diagnostic Res. 2019;13(3).
15. Ashrafzadeh S, Layegh P. Crusted scabies in a patient with pemphigus vulgaris after treatment with rituximab and corticosteroids. JAAD Case Reports. 2020;6(8):722–4.
16. Azizpour A, Nasimi M, Ghanadan A, Mohammadi F, Shakoei S. Crusted scabies complicated with Herpes simplex and sepsis. Indian J Dermatol. 2020;65(4):304.
17. Soleimanifard S, Hejazi SH, Abtahi SM. A Case of Crusted Scabies in Isfahan, Iran. J Isfahan Med Sch. 2021;39(647):821–5.
18. Rasti S, Talaee R, Abdoli A. Disseminated scabies in a 2-month-old infant. Clin Case Reports. 2022;10(9):e6334.
19. Paparizos V, Vasalou V, Velissariou E, Kourkounti S, Daskalakis E, Rigopoulos D. Norwegian scabies presenting as erythroderma in HIV: A case report. Infez Med. 2019;27(3):332–5.
20. Rahdar M, Vazirianzadeh B, Maraghi S. A case report of Sarcoptes scabiei infection in Ahwaz, Iran. J Arthropod Borne Dis. 2008;2(1):44–8.
21. Wang MK, Chin-Yee B, Lo CK-L, Lee S, El-Helou P, Alowami S, et al. Crusted scabies in a renal transplant recipient treated with daily ivermectin: a case report and literature review. Transpl Infect Dis. 2019;21(3):e13077.
22. Perna AG, Bell K, Rosen T. Localised genital Norwegian scabies in an AIDS patient. Sex Transm Infect. 2004;80(1):72–3.
23. Mahajan SA, Chhonkar A, Dave JS, Muhammed N. Unusual presentation of crusted scabies with osteolysis in immunocompetent. Australas J Dermatol. 2021;62(4):e563--e567.
24. Baumrin E, Piette E, Micheletti R. A crusted rash in a patient with AIDS. JAMA. 2015;313(3):298–9.
|Issue||Vol 18 No 2 (2023)|
|Crusted scabies Kidney transplant Septic shock|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|