Presentation of Epicardial and Intrapericardial Hydatid Cysts: A Case Series
Hydatid cyst mainly involves the liver and lung; however, it can rarely involve cardiac tissue. This study describes the presence of hydatid cysts in the heart with considerable disease points in Tehran, Iran. Two cases aged between 25 to 50 years with cardiac hydatid cyst involvement were identified in 2021 in Tehran, Iran. Epicardial hydatid cyst between a left anterior descending coronary artery (LAD) and left obtuse marginal artery (OM) on the left ventricle, and in the second case, intrapericardial cyst attached to the pulmonary trunk with a thin base were identified. The cardial cysts were resected, and the patients recovered without any complications. Cardiac hydatid cyst is a very rare disease. Rapid diagnosis and surgical and medical care are necessary for treatment.
2. Salih AM, Kakamad FH, Hammood ZD, Yasin B, Ahmed DM. Abdominal wall Hydatid cyst: A review a literature with a case report. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2017;37:154-6.
3. Mahmoudi S, Mamishi S, Banar M, Pourakbari B, Keshavarz H. Epidemiology of echinococcosis in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Infect Dis. 2019;19(1):929.
4. Bennett JE, Dolin R, Blaser MJ. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases .E-Book: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2019.
5. Salih AM, Kakamad FH, Rauf GM. Isolated hydatid cyst of the diaphragm, a case report. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2016;29:130-2.
6. Baram A, Kakamad FH, Alwan AA. Primary posterior mediastinal hydatid cyst mimicking malignant mediastinal neurogenic tumor. Int J Case Rep Images. 2014;5(1):54-7.
7. Sarkari B, Sfedan AF, Moshfe A, et al. Clinical and molecular evaluation of a case of giant primary splenic hydatid cyst: A case report. Iran J Parasitol. 2016;11(4):585-90.
8. Bogdanovic A, Radojkovic M, Tomasevic RJ, et al. Presentation of pericardial hydatid cyst as acute cardiac tamponade. Asian J Surg. 2017;40(2):175-7.
9. Agha R, Fowler A, Rammohan S, Barai I, Orgill D. The PROCESS statement: preferred reporting of case series in surgery. Int J Surg. 2016;36(Pt A):319-23.
10. Tuncer E, Tas SG, Mataraci I, et al. Surgical treatment of cardiac hydatid disease in 13 patients. Tex Heart Inst J. 2010;37(2):189-93.
11. Elhadj ZI, Boukhris M, Kammoun I, Halima AB, Addad F, Kachboura S. Cardiac hydatid cyst revealed by ventricular tachycardia. J Saudi Heart Assoc. 2014;26(1):47-50.
12. Oraha AY, Faqe DA, Kadoura M, Kakamad FH, Yaldo FF, Aziz SQ. Cardiac hydatid cysts; presentation and management. A case series. Ann Med Surg (Lond) .2018;30:18-21.
13. Ohri S, Sachdeva A, Bhatia M, Shrivastava S. Cardiac hydatid cyst in left ventricular free wall. Echo Res Pract.2015;2(1):K17-K9.
14. Shojaei E, Yassin Z, Rezahosseini O. Cardiac hydatid cyst: a case report. Iran J Public Health. 2016;45(11):1507-10.
15. Yaliniz H, Tokcan A, Salih OK, Ulus T. Surgical treatment of cardiac hydatid disease: a report of 7 cases.Tex Heart Inst J. 2006;33(3):333-39.
|Issue||Vol 18 No 2 (2023)|
|Cardiac Epicardial Intrapericardial Left ventricle Hydatid cyst Iran|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|