Clinical, Morphological Justification and First Experience in the Use of Radiofrequency as well as Microwave Ablation Treatment Methods of Liver Echinococcosis
Background: The current study considers a new direction of surgical treatment of liver echinococcosis - the use of minimally invasive treatment methods of parasitic cysts.
Methods: After clinical and morphological substantiation of the very possibility of carrying out such procedures, 9 microwave ablations (MWA) and 3 radiofrequency ablations (RFA) of cysts were performed in patients with liver echinococcosis from 2017 to 2021 in the surgical clinic of Botkin Hospital, Moscow, Russia. A comparative analysis of treatment results of patients with echinococcal liver cysts (12 patients who underwent “percutaneous puncture, aspiration, injection and reaspiration” (PAIR) procedure and 12 patients – MWA and RFA) was carried out.
Results: The number of complications according to Clavien-Dindo classification was as follows: 8 after PAIR procedure, 3 after RFA and 3 after MWA. The median hospital length of stay (LOS) after PAIR procedure was 6.46 days versus 4.7 and 4 in the groups of patients who underwent RF and MW ablation, respectively. The frequency of relapses within the first year after PAIR procedure was 25%. The patients who underwent ablation procedures had no relapses of liver echinococcosis during observation.
Conclusion: The presented clinical and morphological substantiation and the experience of using various types of ablation techniques on echinococcal cysts, as well as a comparative analysis with a commonly used PAIR treatment method, demonstrated the safety of RFA and MWA for the patient and efficacy in relation to the hydatid process.
2. Tuxun T. Zhang J Hui, Zhao J Ming, et al. World review of laparoscopic treatment of liver cystic echinococcosis-914 patients. Int J Infect Dis. 2014;24:43-50.
3. Gavara CG, López-Andújar R, Ibáñez TB, et al. Review of the treatment of liver hyda-tid cysts. World J Gastroenterol. 2015 Jan 1;21(1):124-131.
4. Shabunin A, Tavobilov M, Karpov A. Echinococcosis of the liver: evolution of surgical treatment. Pirogov Russian Journal of Surgery. 2021(5):95-103.
5. Musaev GH, Levkin VV, Sharipov RH. Modern trends in surgical treatment of liv-er echinococcosis. Sechenov Med J. 2018 Dec 30(4):78-84. (in Russian)
6. Clavien PA, Barkun J, De Oliveira ML, et al. The Clavien-Dindo classification of surgical complications: five-year experience. Ann Surg. 2009 Aug 1;250(2):187-96.
7. WHO Informal Working Group. Interna-tional classification of ultrasound images in cystic echinococcosis for application in clinical and field epidemiological settings. Acta Trop. 2003 Feb 1;85(2):253-61.
8. Fancellu A, Perra T, Vergari D, et al. Man-agement of complex liver cystic hydati-dosis: challenging benign diseases for the hepatic surgeon: a case series report from an endemic area. Medicine (Baltimore). 2020 Nov 25;99(48): e23435.
9. Ikramov R, Zhavoronkova O, Botiraliev A, et al. Modern treatment of the liver echi-nococcosis. Vysokotekhnologicheskaya medicina. 2020 Jul 7(2):14-27. (in Russian)
10. Ok ÜZ, Kilimcioğlu AA, Özkol M. Türki-ye’de İnsanlarda Kistik Ekinokokkoz. Cystic echinococcosis in humans in Tur-key. Mikrobiyol Bul. 2020;54(3):510-22.
11. Rajesh R, Dalip DS, Anupam J, Jaisiram A. Effectiveness of puncture-aspiration-injection-reaspiration in the treatment of hepatic hydatid cysts. Iran J Radiol. 2013 Jun;10(2):68-73.
12. Patkowski W, Krasnodębski M, Grąt M, Masior Ł, Krawczyk M. Surgical treatment of hepatic Echinococcus granulosus. Gastroen-terology Review/Przegląd Gastroentero-logiczny. 2017 Sep 30;12(3):199-202.
13. Sokouti M, Sadeghi R, Pashazadeh S, et al. A systematic review and meta-analysis on the treatment of liver hydatid cyst using meta-MUMS tool: comparing PAIR and laparoscopic procedures. Arch Med Sci. 2019 Mar 1;15(2):284-308.
|Issue||Vol 18 No 1 (2023)|
|Hydatid cyst Percutaneous puncture Aspiration Parasitology|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|