Multiorgan Echinococcosis with Uterine Involvement Causing Bilateral Hydronephrosis in a Child: Case Report
Hydatid cyst is a parasitic infection transmitted by oral ingestion of Echinococcus granulosus eggs. Hydatid cyst of the genital tract is rare and the occurrence in the uterus is an extreme rarity. We present an 8-yr-old girl with complaints of swelling of lower abdomen, pollakiuria and bilateral flank pain was brought to Emergency Department of Harran University, Turkey, in Jun 2019. The patient had simultaneous hydatid cysts of the liver, mesentery and uterus. We performed abdominal exploration and completely removed the inner germinal layer of cyst through an incision made in the anterior of the uterine fundus. Then, we applied total excision to the two cysts in the right and left colon mesentery. Finally, we performed partial cystectomy to the cyst in the liver, and we removed the cyst membrane totally. In endemic regions, hydatid cysts should be considered for the diagnosis of children with cystic mass lesions. Uterine-sparing approach should be kept in mind as an option, especially in young women. Early surgical treatment of large pelvic cysts that cause obstructive uropathy may prevent the progression of renal damage.
2. Lozneanu L, Balan RA, Giuşcă SE, et al. Ovarian hydatid cyst - systematic review of clinicopathological and immunohisto-chemical characteristics of an unusual enti-ty. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2019;60(3):751-759. PMID: 31912083.
3. Beyhan YE, Yılmaz H, Taş Cengiz Z, et al. A Rare Case of Secondary Hydatid Cyst: Uterus and Colon Locations in the Same Patient. Turkiye Parazitol Derg. 2019 Sep 10;43(3):149-151. doi: 10.4274/tpd.galenos.2019.6303. PMID: 31502806.
4. Dharsandia MV, Soni ST, Vegad MM. Ovarian hydatid cyst in pediatric patient commencing as ovarian tumor: a rare site of echinococcosis. Int J Prev Med. 2012 Dec;3(12):897-9. doi: 10.4103/2008-7802.104863. PMID: 23272291; PMCID: PMC3530310.
5. Adewunmi OA, Basilingappa HM. Primary ovarian hydatid disease in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J. 2004 Nov;25(11):1697-700. PMID: 15573205.
6. Slimane NN, Taieb M, Khiali R, et al. A huge primary hydatid cyst of uterus: A case report and review of literature. J Univer Surg. 2018;6:12. DOI: 10.21767/2254-6758.100102
7. Foroughi M, Bahador A, Beizavi Z. Rapid Growth of Hydatid Cyst: A Pediatric Case Report. Iran J Parasitol. 2021;16(1): 164-167. doi: 10.18502/ijpa.v16i1.5538
8. Demir M, Yağmur İ. Isolated Renal Hyda-tid Cyst in a 6-Year-Old Boy: A Case Re-port. Iran J Parasitol. 2021;16(4), 692-696. doi.org/10.18502/ijpa.v16i4.7883
9. Emir L, Germiyanoglu C, Lokumcu A, et al. Retrovesical echinococcal cyst causing renal failure and nocturnal enuresis in a child. J Pediatr Surg. 2001 Jul;36(7):E14. doi: 10.1053/jpsu.2001.24777. PMID: 11431799.
10. Malik AH, Bashir S, Rather AA. Ruptured primary uterine serosal hydatid cyst: a rare case report. Gynecol Surg. 2005; 2(1), 25-26. DOI 10.1007/s10397-004-0077-1.
|Issue||Vol 17 No 3 (2022)|
|Hydatid cyst Uterus Multiorgan Children Hydronephrosis Turkey|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|