The Oral Parasitic Microbiome in Hepatitis B Virus Infected Sudanese Patients with Gum Disease
Background: We aimed to evaluate a potential link between colonization of gingival crevices by the Entamoeba gingivalis as oral parasite microbiome and Hepatitis B infection among gum disease Sudanese patients.
Methods: This study was conducted on 448 gum disease patients attending to Dental Clinic of Kosti Teaching Hospital, Kosti, Sudan in 2017-2018. Oral symptoms were registered in 336 patients at different stages of the HBV infection and in 112 HBV seronegative gum disease control. All participants were screened for HBV using ELISA test. Unstimulated whole saliva and gingival scraping were obtained and analyzed for the presence of the amoeba using a parasitological technique.
Results: Statistically highly significant correlation was found between the detection of the E. gingivalis in Saliva/gingival scraping and gum illness disease with HBV-infected patients than healthy control group (P<0.05). There was high association between the occurrence of the amoeba among the two groups and smoking, snuffing habitats (P<0.05), inversely, no association with the oral personal hygiene.
Conclusion: The presence of the amoeba was not related to the degree of gum diseases only, but to the HBV infection diagnosis. To our knowledge, this is the first study of E. gingivalis in association with HBV infection among gum disease Sudanese patients; maybe predict the role of oral parasitic microbiome in the status of gum disease in HBV infection.
2. Wang T, Cui D, Chen S, et al. Analysis of clinical characteristics and S gene sequences in chronic asymptomatic HBV carriers with low-level HBsAg. Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol. 2019; 43(2):179-189.
3. Haga H, Saito T, Okumoto K, et al. Incidence of development of hepatocellular carcinoma in Japanese patients infected with hepatitis B virus are equivalent between genotype B and C in long term. J Viral Hepat. 2019; 26(7): 866-872.
4. Liu J, Wu H, Chen H.Immune response to hepatitis B vaccine in patients with chronic hepatitis C infection: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Hepatol Res. 2018; 48(2):119-126.
5. Cao Z, Liu Y, Ma L,et al. A potent hepatitis B surface antigen response in subjects with inactive hepatitis B surface antigen carrier treated with pegylated-interferon alpha. Hepatology. 2017; 66(4):1058-1066.
6. Guang Y, Yuzhong L, Hui L. Establishment of an analysis model based on measurement of hepatitis B viral infection serum markers.BMC Infect Dis.2019; 19(1):171.
7. Shimizu Y. T cell immunopathogenesis and immunotherapeutic strategies for chronic hepatitis B virus infection. World J Gastroenterol. 2012; 18(20): 2443-51.
8. Saha K, Firdaus R, Santra P, et al. Recent pattern of Co-infection amongst HIV seropositive individuals in tertiary care hospital, Kolkata. Virol J. 2011;8:116.
9. Farghaly AG, Mansour GA, Mahdy NH, et al. Hepatitis B and C virus infections among patients with gingivitis and adult periodontitis: seroprevalence and public health importance. J Egypt Public Health Assoc. 1998;73(5-6):707-35.
10. Hofer D, Hämmerle CH, Grassi M, et al.The effect of a single mechanical treatment on the subgingival microflora in patients with HIV-associated gingivitis. J Clin Periodontol. 1996;23(3 Pt 1):180-7.
11. Bonner M, Amard V, Bar-Pinatel C, et al. Detection of the amoeba Entamoeba gingivalis in periodontal pockets. Parasite. 2014;21: 30.
12. Favoreto Junior S, Machado MI. Incidence, morphology and diagnostic studies of Entamoeba gingivalis, Gros, 1849.Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 1995;28(4):379-87.
13. Maria Mielnik- Błaszczak , Jolanta Rzymowska, Artur Michałowski, et al. Entamoeba gingivalis – prevalence and correlation with dental caries in children from rural and urban regions of Lublin Province, Eastern Poland. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2018;25(4):656–658.
14. Derda M, Hadaś E, Antczak E, et al. Incidence of Entamoeba gingivalis in the oral cavity of students. J Stoma. 2011; 64(10):784–795.
15. Braz-Silva PH, Magalhães MH CG, Hofman V, et al. Usefulness of oral cytopathology in the diagnosis of infectious diseases. Cytopathology. 2010; 21(5): 285–289.
16. Sarowaska J, Wojnicz D, Kaczkowski H, et al. The occurrence of Entamoeba gingivalis and Trichomonas tenax in patients with periodontal disease, Immuno-suppression and genetic diseases. Adv Clin Exp Med. 2004;13(2):291-7.
17. Chomicz L, Piekarczyk J, Starosciak B, et al. Com-parative studies on the occurrence of protozoans, bacteria and fungi in the oral cavity of patients with systemic disorders. Acta Parasitologica. 2002;47(2):147-53.
18. Lucht E, Biberfeld P, Linde A. Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) DNA in saliva and EBV serology of HIV-1-infected persons with and without hairy leukoplakia. J Infect. 1995;31(3):189-94.
19. Lucht E, Albert J, Linde A, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and cytomegalovirus in saliva. J Med Virol. 1993;39(2): 156-62.
20. Flournoy DJ, McNabb SJ, Dodd ED, et al. Rapid trichrome stain. J Clin Microbiol. 1982;16(3): 573-4.
21. Ghabanchi J, Zibaei M, Afkar MD, et al. Prevalence of oral Entamoeba gingivalis and Trichomonas tenax in patients with periodontal disease and healthy population in Shiraz, southern Iran. Indian J Dent Res. 2010;21(1): 89-91.
22. el Azzouni MZ, el Badry AM. Frequency of Entamoeba gingivalis among periodontal and patients under chemotherapy. J Egypt Soc Parasitol. 1994;24(3): 649-55.
23. Pomowski A, Usón I, Nowakowska Z, et al. Structural insights unravel the zymogenic mechanism of the virulence factor gingipain K from Porphyromonas gingivalis, a causative agent of gum disease from the human oral microbiome. J Biol Chem. 2017;292(14):5724-5735.
24. Löfmark S, Edlund C, Nord CE. Metronidazole is still the drug of choice for treatment of anaerobic infections. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50 Suppl 1:S16-23.
25. Mitchell DA. Metronidazole: its use in clinical dentistry. J Clin Periodontol. 1984;11(3):145-58.
26. Müller M. Mode of action of metronidazole on anaerobic bacteria and protozoa.Surgery. 1983;93(1 Pt 2):165-71.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.