Isolated Renal Hydatid Cyst in a 6-Year-Old Boy: A Case Re-port
Hydatid cyst (HC) is a parasitic infection transmitted by oral ingestion of Echinococcus granulosus eggs. Isolated kidney involvement is extremely rare. It is even less common in children. We present a case of isolated renal HC in a 6-year-old boy from Şanlıurfa, southeast Turkey who complained of abdominal pain and distension. Cystectomy was performed with a flank incision using the extraperitoneal approach. No recurrence was detected in the postoperative 6-month follow-up. There are not enough data about the efficacy of medical treatment in renal HC. Therefore, medical treatment should be considered pre- and post-operatively to prevent dissemination, rather than being used as a primary treatment. Kidney-sparing surgery should be the first choice in patients with isolated renal HC. However, nephrectomy is recommended for nonfunctioning kidneys, large cysts thought to be connected with the collecting system, and cysts with suspicious tumor. In societies where HC disease is endemic, renal HC should be considered in children with cysts located in kidney, even if the indirect hemagglutination test is negative.
2. Cankorkmaz L, Korğalı E, Atalar MH, et al. Case Report: isolated renal hydatid cyst in a boy. Türkiye Parazitol Derg.2019; 43(2):89-91.
3. Tryfonas GJ, Avtzoglou PP, Chaidos C, et al . Renal hydatid disease: diagnosis and treatment. J Pediatr Surg. 1993; 28(2):228-31.
4. Moscatelli G, Moroni S, Freilij H, et al. A five-year-old child with renal hydatidosis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013; 89:554-556.
5. Efesoy O, Tek M, Erdem E, et al. İzole böbrek hidatik kistlerinin kistektomi ve omentoplasti ile tedavisi. Turkish Journal of Urology. 2010;36(2):176-181.
6. Singh V, Devana SK, Gorsi U, et al. Iso-lated renal hydatid cyst masquerading as cystic renal tumor. Urology. 2019; 133: e11−e12.
7. Soares AT, Couto C, Cabral MJ, et al. Re-nal hydatid cyst: medical treatment. J Bras Nefrol. 2016;38(1):123-6.
8. Rexiati M, Mutalifu A, Azhati B, et al. Di-agnosis and surgical treatment of renal hy-datid disease: a retrospective analysis of 30 cases. PLoS One.2014; 9(5): e96602.
9. Aggarwal S, Bansal A. Laparoscopic man-agement of renal hydatid cyst. JSLS .2014; 18(2):361–366.
10. Razzaghi MR, Mazloomfard MM, Bah-rami-Motlagh H, et al. Isolated renal hyda-tid cyst: diagnosis and management. Urol J. 2012; 9(4):718-20.
|Issue||Vol 16 No 4 (2021)|
|Hydatid cyst Kidney Children Echinococcus granulosus Turkey|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|