Evaluation of Toll-Like Receptor 11 Agonist Adjuvant Activity in Immunization of BALB/c Mice with Total Lysate Antigens of Toxoplasma gondii RH Strain
Background: In this study, the effect of total lysate antigen (TLA) of Toxoplasma gondii on spleen lymphocyte prolifration, secretion of IL5, INF-γ, and mice survival time was evaluated using agonist of toll-like receptor (TLR) 11, as an adjuvant.
Results: Mice immunized with TLA + adjuvant showed higher immunization index than the two other groups and combination of TLR11 (as an adjuvant) and TLA significantly elevated the effect of TLA by increasing the production of INF-γ and IL-5 and by the shift of the immune system to Th1. In addition, the combination of TLA and TLR11 adjuvant increased the proliferation of lymphocytes and survival time in mice against T. gondii.
Conclusion: Profilin (as an adjuvant) in combination with TLA could be a potent vaccine candidate that evokes a powerful specific immune response and significantly improves the efficacy of TLA vaccine by increasing the induction of INF-γ production and by shifting the immune responses to Th1 profile through increasing the INF-γ/IL-5 ratio. It causes significant protection against T. gondii after i.p. injection.
2. Yesmin K, Alam S, Begum S, et al. Acquired toxoplasmosis of a submental lymph node in a 14 year-old girl: case report. Bangladesh J Med Microbiol. 2014;8(2):32-4.
3. Gomes AF, Barbosa HS. Congenital Toxoplasmosis: In Vivo Impact of Toxoplasma gondii Infection on Myogenesis and Neurogenesis. Toxoplasmosis: InTech; 2017.
4. Wang ZD, Liu HH, Ma ZX, et al. Toxoplasma gondii infection in immunocompromised patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Front Microbiol. 2017 Mar 9;8:389.
5. Filisetti D, Candolfi E. Immune response to Toxoplasma gondii. Ann Ist Super Sanita. 2004;40(1):71-80.
6. Alfonzo M, Badell E, Pourcel C, et al. Cell-mediated and not humoral immune response is responsible for partial protection against toxoplasmosis in SCID mice reconstituted with human PBMC. Inmunologia. 2005;24(3):273-282.
7. Tahamtan A, Charostad J, Shokouh H, et al. An Overview of Different Types of Immune Stimulating Adjuvants and Their Application. Paramedical Sciences and Military Health. 2016 ;11(3):43-51.
8. Suzuki Y, Orellana MA, Schreiber RD, et al. Inter-feron-gamma: the major mediator of resistance against Toxoplasma gondii. Science. 1988; 240(4851):516-8.
9. Petrovsky N, Aguilar JC. Vaccine adjuvants: current state and future trends. Immunol Cell Biol. 2004;82(5):488-96.
10. Steinhagen F, Kinjo T, Bode C, et al. TLR-based immune adjuvants. Vaccine. 2011. Apr 12; 29(17):3341-55.
11. Yijie G, Ding C, Zhang B, et al. Inhibitory effect of BMAP-28 on Leptospiral lipopolysaccharide-induced TLR2-dependent immune response in bovine cells. Jundishapur J Microbiol . 2016;9(6).10.5812/jjm.33926.
12. Davoodi H, Ghaemi EA, Jamali A, et al. Arg677Trp and Arg753Gln Polymorphisms in TLR2 Genes Detected in Patients With Tuberculosis in Golestan Province, Iran. Jundishapur J Microbiol. 2018.
13. Jiménez-Dalmaroni MJ, Radcliffe CM, Harvey DJ, et al. Soluble human TLR2 ectodomain binds diacylglycerol from microbial lipopeptides and glycolipids. Innate Immun. 2015;21(2):175-93.
14. Jin MS, Kim SE, Heo JY, et al. Crystal structure of the TLR1-TLR2 heterodimer induced by binding of a tri-acylated lipopeptide. Cell. 2007; 130(6):1071-82.
15. Ozinsky A. The repertoire for pattern recongnition of pathogens by the innate immune system is defined by cooperation between Toll-like receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000 Dec 5;97(25):13766-71.
16. Fournier B, Philpott DJ. Recognition of Staphylococ-cus aureus by the innate immune system. Clin Mi-crobiol Rev. 2005; 18 (3):521-40.
17. Underhill DM, Ozinsky A, Smith KD, et al. Toll-like receptor-2 mediates mycobacteria-induced proinflammatory signaling in macrophages. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1999;96(25):14459-63.
18. Ropert C, Tostes Gazzinelli R. Regulatory role of Toll-like receptor 2 during infection with Trypanosoma cruzi. J Endotoxin Res. 2004;10(6):425-30.
19. Park BS, Song DH, Kim HM, et al. The structural basis of lipopolysaccharide recognition by the TLR4–MD-2 complex. Nature. 2009 Apr; 458(7242):1191-5.
20. Hayashi F, Smith KD, Ozinsky A, et al. The innate immune response to bacterial flagellin is mediated by Toll-like receptor 5. Nature. 2001;410(6832):1099-103.
21. Chattopadhyay S, Sen GC. dsRNA-activation of TLR3 and RLR signaling: gene induction-dependent and independent effects. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2014;34(6):427-36.
22. Wang T, Town T, Alexopoulou L, et al. Toll-like receptor 3 mediates West Nile virus entry into the brain causing lethal encephalitis. Nat Med. 2004;10(12):1366-73.
23. Casrouge A, Zhang S-Y, Eidenschenk C, et al. Herpes simplex virus encephalitis in human UNC-93B deficiency. Science. 2006; 314(5797):308-12.
24. Liu L, Botos I, Wang Y, et al. Structural basis of toll-like receptor 3 signaling with double-stranded RNA. Science. 2008;320(5874):379-81
25. Hemmi H, Takeuchi O, Kawai T, et al. A Toll-like receptor recognizes bacterial DNA. Nature. 2000;408(6813):740-5.
26. Tanji H, Ohto U, Shibata T, et al. Structural reor-ganization of the Toll-like receptor 8 dimer induced by agonistic ligands. Science. 2013. Mar 22; 339(6126):1426-9.
27. Heil F, Hemmi H, Hochrein H, et al. Species-specific recognition of single-stranded RNA via toll-like receptor 7 and 8. Science. 2004. Mar 5; 303(5663):1526-9.
28. Tanji H, Ohto U, Shibata T, et al. Toll-like receptor 8 senses degradation products of single-stranded RNA. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2015;22(2):109-15.
29. Kaisho T, Akira S. Toll-like receptors as adjuvant receptors. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002; 1589 (1):1-13.
30. Cirelli KM. Rodent inflammasome activation by Toxoplasma gondii: Massachusetts Institute of Technology; (Cell) . 2016.
31. Koblansky AA, Jankovic D, Oh H, et al. Recognition of profilin by Toll-like receptor 12 is critical for host resistance to Toxoplasma gondii. Immunity. 2013;38(1):119-30.
32. Yarovinsky F, Hieny S, Sher A. Recognition of Toxoplasma gondii by TLR11 prevents parasite-induced immunopathology. J Immunol. 2008;181(12):8478-84.
33. Khorshidvand Z, Shahabi S, Mohamadzade H, et al. Mixture of alum–naloxone and alum–naltrexone as a novel adjuvant elicits immune responses for Toxoplasma gondii lysate antigen in BALB/c mice. Exp Parasitol. 2016;162:28-34.
34. Daryani A, Hosseini AZ, Dalimi A. Immune responses against excreted/secreted antigens of Toxoplasma gondii tachyzoites in the murine model.Vet Parasitol. 2003;113(2):123-34.
35. Jazani NH, Karimzad M, Mazloomi E, et al. Evaluation of the adjuvant activity of naloxone, an opioid receptor antagonist, in combination with heat-killed Listeria monocytogenes vaccine. Microbes Infect. 2010;12(5):382-8.
36. Jongert E, Roberts CW, Gargano N, et al. Vaccines against Toxoplasma gondii: challenges and opportunities. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2009;104(2):252-66.
37. Lee S, Nguyen MT. Recent advances of vaccine adjuvants for infectious diseases. Immune Netw. 2015;15(2):51-7.
38. Coffman RL, Sher A, Seder RA. Vaccine adjuvants: putting innate immunity to work. Immunity. 2010;33(4):492-503.
39. Schijns VE, Lavelle EC. Trends in vaccine adjuvants. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2011; 10(4):539-50.
40. Debierre-Grockiego F, Campos MA, Azzouz N, et al. Activation of TLR2 and TLR4 by glycosylphosphatidylinositols derived from Toxoplasma gondii. J Immunol. 2007; 179(2):1129-37.
41. Aosai F, Pena MSR, Mun H-S, et al. Toxoplasma gondii–derived heat shock protein 70 stimulates maturation of murine bone marrow–derived dendritic cells via Toll-like receptor 4. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2006;11(1):13-22.
42. Hedhli D, Dimier-Poisson I, Judge JW, et al. Protective immunity against Toxoplasma challenge in mice by coadministration of T. gondii antigens and Eimeria profilin-like protein as an adjuvant. Vaccine. 2009;27(16):2274-81.
43. El‐Malky M, Shaohong L, Kumagai T, et al. Protective effect of vaccination with Toxoplasma lysate antigen and CpG as an adjuvant against Toxoplasma gondii in susceptible C57BL/6 mice. Microbiol Immunol. 2005;49(7):639-46.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.