Co-Occurrence of Cystic and Alveolar Echinococcosis in the Liver: A Case Report
Morbidity of mixed cystic and alveolar echinococcosis (CE and AE) is exceptionally rare. Less literature retrieved from a database on the internet detailed the content, including radiography, pathology, and therapeutics data. Such a case of co-occurrence of the different Echinococcus species was diagnosed and treated at our hospital center from Nov 2019 to Feb 2020. A 30 yr old female from the pastoral area in Qinghai Province, China, was diagnosed with a case of echinococcosis and diagnosis was confirmed after image studies, immunoassaying of hydatid enzymes, life history and pathology result. The patient underwent hepatectomy along with excision of the internal capsule. Post-operative pathology was done, and it confirmed a mixed infection of both CE and AE. The patient recovered well without complications after liver-protecting and tissue repair treatment for 15 days. Knowing about infective mode and immune method of the case might be vital for research on variation for Echinococcus infection.
2. Du Q, Hu C, Li Y. Mixed infection with two types of echinococcosis misdiagnosed as hepatic alveolar echinococcosis. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2019;52:e20190259.
3. Wen H, Tian WL, Zou PF, et al. A rare case of mixed cystic and alveolar hydatidosis. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1992;86(3):290-291.
4. Yang YR, Liu XZ, Vuitton DA, et al. Simultaneous alveolar and cystic echinococcosis of the liver. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2006;100(6):597-600.
5. Brunetti E, Kern P, Vuitton DA. Expert consensus for the diagnosis and treatment of cystic and alveo-lar echinococcosis in humans. Acta Trop. 2010;114(1):1-16.
6. Wen H, Vuitton L, Tuxun T, et al. Echinococcosis: Advances in the 21st Century. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2019;32(2):e00075-18.
7. Vuitton DA, Gottstein B. Echinococcus multilocularis and its intermediate host: a model of parasite-host interplay. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2010;2010:923193.
8. Tappe D, Frosch M, Sako Y, et al. Close relation-ship between clinical regression and specific serolo-gy in the follow-up of patients with alveolar echino-coccosis in different clinical stages. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;80(5):792-797.
9. Ran B, Wang M, Jian W, et al. Simultaneous occur-rence of hepatic alveolar and cystic echinococcosis. J Helminthol. 2019;94:e80.
|Issue||Vol 16 No 1 (2021)|
|Echinococcosis Echinococcus Case report China|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|