Detection of Toxoplasma gondii in Acute and Chronic Phases of Infection in Immunocompromised Patients and Pregnant Women with Real-time PCR Assay Using TaqMan Fluorescent Probe
Background: Toxoplasma gondii, cause severe medical complications in infants and immune-compromised individuals. As using early, sensitive and rapid technique has major in diagnosis of toxoplasmosis, the present study was aimed to detect parasite by using from repetitive element (RE) and B1genes, in blood samples of seropositive immunocompromised patients and pregnant women.
Methods: A total of 110 peripheral blood samples were collected from seropositive cases with anti-T. gondii antibodies, including immunocompromised patients and pregnant women. DNA was extracted by a commercial kit and subjected to TaqMan probe-based real-time PCR assay by using primers and probes specific for RE and B1 genes, separately. The data were analyzed by Kappa test and SPSS-22 software.
Results: In the pregnant women, 17 (68%) and 14 (56%) samples from 25 IgM+/ IgG+ cases and, 7 (25%) and 6 (21.4%) samples from 28 IgG+/IgM- cases were positive by RE and B1 real time PCR, respectively. Likewise, in immunocompromised group, 20 (66.6%) and 17 (56.6%) samples from 30 IgM+/ IgG+ cases and 2 (7.4%) and 2 (7.4%) samples from 27 IgG+/ IgM- cases were positive by RE and B1 real time PCR, respectively.
Conclusion: Probe-based real time PCR assay is a quantitative approach for early diagnosis of T. gondii infection in clinical samples. Moreover, this method can be more appropriate in diagnosis of acute and reactivated toxoplasmosis. In addition our results indicated that RE gene is more sensitive than B1 gene.
- Dubey, Jitender Prakask, and CP Beattie. Toxoplasmosis of animals and man: 1988. CRC Press, Inc.
- Liu, Quan, Wang ZD, Huang SY, Zhu XQ. Diagnosis of toxoplasmosis and typing of Toxoplasma gondii. Parasites & vectors. 2015; 8(1): 292.
- Dubey, Jitender Prakask. Toxoplasmosis of animals and humans: 2016. CRC press.
- Ambroise-Thomas, Pierre, and Eskild Petersen. Congenital toxoplasmosis: scientific background, clinical management and control: Springer Science & Business Media. 2013
- Ambroise-Thomas, P, and H Pelloux. Toxoplasmosis—congenital and in immunocompromised patients: a parallel. Parasitol today. 1993 ;9(2): 61-63.
- Aspöck, H, and ARNOLD Pollak. Prevention of prenatal toxoplasmosis by serological screening of pregnant women in Austria. Scandi J of Infect Dis. 1992; 32 (4): 26-32.
- Ferreira, Antonio Walter, and Mário E Camargo. Toxoplasmosis and the laboratory: diagnosis and a constant striving for improvement. Rev do Ins de Med Trop de São Paulo. 2002; 44(3):119-120.
- Luft, BJ, and JS Remington. Toxoplasmosis of the central nervous system. Current clin topic in infect dis. 1985; 6 (3):315-358.
- Cohen, Bruce A. Neurologic manifestations of toxoplasmosis in AIDS. Seminars in neurology, 1999. 19; 201-211. © 1999 by Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
- Hoffman EW, Bergmann V, Shultz JA, Kendall P, Medeiros LC, Hillers VN. Application of a five-step message development model for food safety education materials targeting people with HIV/AIDS. J of the Am Dietetic Assoc. 2005; 105(10):1597-1604.
- McLeod R, Kieffer F, Sautter M, Hosten T, Pelloux H. Why prevent, diagnose and treat congenital toxoplasmosis? Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. 2009; 104(2):320-344.
- Hill, D, and JP Dubey. Toxoplasma gondii: transmission, diagnosis and prevention. Clin microbio and infect. 2002; 8(10):634-640.
- Hedman K, Lappalainen M, Seppäiä I, Mäkelä O. Recent primary toxoplasma infection indicated by a low avidity of specific IgG. J of infect dis. 1989; 159(4):736-740.
- Laboudi, Majda, and Abderrahim Sadak. Serodiagnosis of Toxoplasmosis: The effect of measurement of IgG avidity in pregnant women in Rabat in Morocco. Acta Tropica. 2017; 172(4):139-142.
- Bastien, Patrick. Molecular diagnosis of toxoplasmosis. Trans of the Royal soc of Trop med and hyg. 2002; 96(6): 205-215.
- Menotti J, Garin YJ, Thulliez P, et al. Evaluation of a new 5′‐nuclease real‐time PCR assay targeting the Toxoplasma gondii AF146527 genomic repeat. Clin Microbio and Infect. 2010; 16(4):363-368.
- Putignani L, Mancinelli L, Del Chierico F, et al. Investigation of Toxoplasma gondii presence in farmed shellfish by nested-PCR and real-time PCR fluorescent amplicon generation assay (FLAG). Exp parasitol. 2011; 127(2):409-417.
- Bretagne, S. Molecular diagnostics in clinical parasitology and mycology: limits of the current polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assays and interest of the real‐time PCR assays. Clin microbio and infect. 2003; 9(6): 505-511.
- Colombo FA, Vidal JE, Penalva de Oliveira AC, et al. Diagnosis of cerebral toxoplasmosis in AIDS patients in Brazil: importance of molecular and immunological methods using peripheral blood samples. J of clin microbio. 2005; 43(10):5044-5047.
- Romand S, Chosson M, Franck J. Usefulness of quantitative polymerase chain reaction in amniotic fluid as early prognostic marker of fetal infection with Toxoplasma gondii. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 2004; 190(3):797-802.
- Santos FF, Nascimento H, Muccioli C, et al. Detection of Toxoplasma gondii DNA in peripheral blood and aqueous humor of patients with Toxoplasmic active focal necrotizing retinochoroiditis using real-time PCR. Arquivos brasileiros de oftalmologia. 2015; 78(6):356-358.
- Fallahi Sh, Kazemi B, Seyyed tabaei SJ, et al. Comparison of the RE and B1 gene for detection of Toxoplasma gondii infection in children with cancer. Parasitol int. 2014a ; 63(1):37-41.
- Roberts, CW, and J Alexander. Studies on a murine model of congenital toxoplasmosis: vertical disease transmission only occurs in BALB/c mice infected for the first time during pregnancy. Parasitol. 1992; 104(1):19-23.
- Pelloux H, Brun E, Vernet G, et al. Determination of anti–Toxoplasma gondii immunoglobulin G avidity: adaptation to the Vidas system (bioMérieux). Diag microbio and infect dis. 1998; 32(2):69-73.
- Kupferschmidt O, Krüger D, Held TK, Ellerbrok H, Siegert W, Janitschke K. Quantitative detection of Toxoplasma gondii DNA in human body fluids by TaqMan polymerase chain reaction. Clin microbio and infect. 2001; 7(3): 120-124.
- Robert-Gangneux F, Brenier-Pinchart MP, Yera H, et al. Evaluation of Toxoplasma ELITe MGB Real-Time PCR Assay for Diagnosis of Toxoplasmosis. J of Clin Microbio. 2017; 55(5):1369-1376.
- Machala L, Malý M, Hrdá S, Rozsypal H, Stanková M, Kodym P. Antibody response of HIV-infected patients to latent, cerebral and recently acquired toxoplasmosis. Europ j of clin microbio & infect dis. 2009; 28(2):179-182.
- Solène Patrat-Delon, Jean-Pierre Gangneux, Sylvain Lavoué, et al. Correlation of parasite load determined by quantitative PCR to clinical outcome in a heart transplant patient with disseminated toxoplasmosis. J of clin microbio. 2010; 48(7): 2541-2545.
- Fekkar A, Bodaghi B, Touafek T, Le Hoang P, Mazier D, Paris L. Comparison of immunoblotting, calculation of the Goldmann-Witmer coefficient, and real-time PCR using aqueous humor samples for diagnosis of ocular toxoplasmosis. J of clin microbio. 2008;46(6):1965-1967.
- L. H. Jauregui, J. Higgins, D. Zarlenga, J. P. Dubey, J. K. Lunney. Development of a real-time PCR assay for detection of Toxoplasma gondii in pig and mouse tissues. J of clin microbio. 2001; 39(6):2065-2071.
- Udo Reisch, Stéphane Bretagne, Dominique Krüger, Pauline Ernault, Jean-Marc Costa. Comparison of two DNA targets for the diagnosis of Toxoplasmosis by real-time PCR using fluorescence resonance energy transfer hybridization probes. BMC infect dis. 2003; 3(1): 37- 45.
- Homan WL, Vercammen M, De Braekeleer J, Verschueren H. Identification of a 200-to 300-fold repetitive 529 bp DNA fragment in Toxoplasma gondii, and its use for diagnostic and quantitative PCR. Int j for parasitol. 2000; 30(1):69-75.
- J L Burg, C M Grover, P Pouletty, and J C Boothroyd. Direct and sensitive detection of a pathogenic protozoan, Toxoplasma gondii, by polymerase chain reaction. J of clin microbio. 1989; 27(8):1787-1792.
- Sonia Paula Benedito Luis Sitoe, Bernardete Rafael, Luciana Regina Meireles, Heitor Franco de Andrade Jr, Ricardo ThompsonI. Preliminary report of HIV and Toxoplasma gondii occurrence in pregnant women from Mozambique. Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo. 2010; 52(6): 291-295.
- Fallahi S, Seyyed Tabaei SJ, Pournia Y, Zebardast N, Kazemi B. Comparison of loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) and nested-PCR assay targeting the RE and B1 gene for detection of Toxoplasma gondii in blood samples of children with leukaemia. Diag microbio and infect dis. 2014b; 79(3):347-354.
- Lin MH, Chen TC, Kuo TT, Tseng CC, Tseng CP. Real-Time PCR for Quantitative Detection of Toxoplasma gondii. J of clin microbio. 2000; 38(11):4121-4125.
|Issue||Vol 13 No 3 (2018)|
|Real time PCR Immunocompromised patients Pregnant women RE gene B1 gene TaqMan fluorescent probe|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|