Iranian Journal of Parasitology 2015. 10(1):122-127.

Role of magnetic resonance spectroscopy and susceptibility weighted imaging in cerebral alveolar echinococcosis.
Guocai Yang, Qingxin Zhang, Guibo Tang, Hui Xu, Zhen Yang, Jianzhong Guo, Lin Liang, Yonghong Qi

Abstract


 

Background: To analyze the characteristic performance of magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) and susceptibility weighted imaging (SWI) in cerebral alve-olar echinococcosis (CAE).

Methods:We retrospectively analyzed 10 clinical-identified CAE cases MR per-formance, and summarized the MRS and SWI performance of CAE.

Results:The 10 cases of CAE all had the history of primary HAE, among who 6 cases had single lesion (60%), while the rest 4 cases had multiple lesions (40%); and 4 cases were concomitant with lung metastases. MRI performance: T2WI lesions were coal-like low-signal shadow, with multiple small vesicles in-side the lesions; MRS performance: NAA, Cho and Cr significantly reduced, an abnormally high and steep crest was found at 1.4 ppm; the phase diagram and strength diagram of SWI showed isointensity.

Conclusion:The MRS and SWI of CAE could provide important supplemental information for the diagnosis of CAE, especially the abnormally high and steep crest at 1.4 ppm provide the reliable image basis for the diagnosis and differen-tial diagnosis of CAE.


Keywords


Cerebral alveolar echinococcosis; Magnetic resonance spectroscopy; Susceptibility weighted imaging

Full Text:

PDF

References


Torgerson PR. The emergence of echinococ-cosis in central Asia. Parasitology. 2013; 10: 1-7.

Matsuhisa T. The mechanism of distantm etastases of alveolar hydatid diaease Hokkaid lgaku Zasshi. 1996; 71: 369-376.

Ernest E, Nonga HE, Kynsieri N, Cleaveland S. A retrospective survey of human hydatidosis based on hospital records during the period 1990-2003 in Ngorongoro, Tanzania. Zoono-ses Public Health. 2010; 57: 124-129.

Demir K, Karsli AF, Kaya T, Devrimci E,Alkan K. Cerebral hydatid cysts: CT finding. Neuroradiology. 1991; 33: 22-24.

Algros MP, Majo F, Bresson-Hadni S,Koch S, Godard J, Cattin F, Delbosc B, Kantelip B. In-tracerebral alveolar echinococcosis. Infection. 2003; 31: 63-65.

Senturk S, Oguz KK, Soylemezoglu F,Inci S. Cerebral Alveolar Echinoccosis Mimicking Pri-mary Brain Tumor. Am J Neuroradiol. 2006; 27: 420-422.

Kodama Y, Fujita N, Shimizu T, Endo H,Nambu T,Sato N,Todo S, Miyasaka K. Al-veolar Echinococcosis: MR Findings in the Liver. Radiology. 2003; 228: 172-177.

Reittner P, Szolar DH, Schmid M. Case report. Systemic manifestation of Echinococcus alveolaris infection. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1996; 20: 1030-1032.

Imamura K. Proton MR: spectroscopy of the brain with a focus on chemical issues. Magn

Reson Med Sci. 2003; 2: 117-132.

Opstad KS, Provencher SW, Bell BA, Griffiths JR, Howe FA. Detect ion of elevated glutathi-one in meningiomas by quantitative in vivo 1 H MRS. Magn Reson Med. 2003; 49: 632-637.

Magalhaes A, Godfrey W, Shen Y, Hu J, Smith W. Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy of brain tumors correlated with pathology. Acad Radiol. 2005; 12: 51-57.

Tate AR, Majos C, Moreno A, Howe FA, Grif-fiths JR, Arús C. Automated classification of short echo time in vivo 1 H brain tumor spec-tra: a multicenter study. Magn Reson Med. 2003; 49: 29-36.

Gujar SK, Maheshwari S, Björkman-Burtscher I, Sundgren PC. Magnetic resonance spectros-copy. Neuro Ophthalmol. 2005; 25: 217-226.

Brennan L, Hewage C, Malthouse JP, McBean GJ. NMR study of alterations in (1-13C) glu-cose metabolism in C6 glioma cells by gliotoxic amino acids. Neurochem Int. 2003; 42: 441-448.

Kantarci M, Bayraktutan U, Karabulut N, Ay-dinli B, Ogul H, Yuce I, Calik M, Eren S, Ata-manalp SS, Oto A. Alveolar echinococcosis: spectrum of findings at cross-sectional imaging. Radiographics. 2012; 32: 2053-2070.

Atanasov G, Benckert C, Thelen A, Tappe D, Frosch M, Teichmann D, Barth TF, Wittekind C,Schubert S, Jonas S. Alveolar echinococ-cosis-spreading disease challenging clinicians: A case report and literature review. World J Gas-troenterol. 2013; 19: 4257-4261.

Koroglu M, Akhan O, Gelen MT, Koroglu BK, Yildiz H, Kerman G, Oyar O. Long-term follow up of patients with alveolar echinococ-cosis. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2006; 29: 473-478.

Marti B, Menor S. Complication of hepatic hydatid cysts: ultrasound, computed tomogra-phy, and magnetic resonance diagnosis. Gas-trointest Radiol. 1990; 15: 119-125.


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License which allows users to read, copy, distribute and make derivative works for non-commercial purposes from the material, as long as the author of the original work is cited properly.